donderdag 14 juni 2012

De rouille et d'os

I think this deserves some kind of preface. My frequency of visiting the movie theaters has resulted in me seeing the trailer for this movie somewhere between 10-20 times. I thought it was a good trailer, so I was excited to see the movie. So much so, that I actually wanted to see the premiere revealing last friday, but due to lack of enthusiasm, I stayed home and chilled.
My friend however, did go to see it, thinking I would be there to accompany him. He reported back to me the next day, referring to this movie as an "okay movie to watch, nothing special".
I however, was still quite excited to go see this. So fast-fowarding a little less than a week, here I am thursday afternoon, asking my roommates if anybody would be up for watching a french movie I had been excited to see for quite a while.
This request resulted in me spending a lovely evening with one of the before mentioned roommates. She did however have one condition.  We would  have to bring some beer.
A couple of hours later, here we were. Sitting the theaters, a backpack filled with beer and snacks. Ready for action.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I didn't care much. I was certain I would at least be entertained, and I had brought beer, so who cared?

Nothing however could've prepared me for what coming my way. People who know me even a little bit should know that I have watched hundreds of movies the last couple of years. But what I experienced this night, only a couple of hours ago, is something completely new to me. Something in years and years of moviewatching has never happened to me before.
I sat there, in my seat, holding a beer, and as the plot was thickening on the screen before my eyes. I actually found myself feeling and thinking; "Oh God, I really hope this ends well."

This might not sound that impressive to most of you, but coming from a guy who watches movies from a 99.9% analytic point of view. This was revolutionary emotional empathy.

Another thing I really loved about this movie was how misleading the trailer was. The one thing that drove me to want to see this movie, was a complete lie. And regardless of that fact I still loved every moment of this film.
As I am writing this, I feel like I'm skipping steps, or maybe not making complete sense. This is mostly due to the copious amounts of alcohol I have consumed during this movie, and partly due to the emotional excitement I have racing through my veins after experiencing this work of art.

As always.

Live long and prosper,
Teun.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten