woensdag 6 juni 2012

Moons and pregnancies

Good morning,

This time I thought I would cover my cinematic adventures of multiple days.
Let us rewind to last sunday, after awakening from a drunken slumber my plans were to return to Amsterdam, take a look at my new school building, and move on to the room I have the privilege of calling home. Those plans were slightly altered when more people decided to join me for my journey. Which ultimately resulted in me and two friends sitting with a backpack filled with snacks and beer in the dinnertime showing of "What to expect when you're expecting" a movie probably frowned upon by many. Granted, this movie will not end up in the books of cinematic history, but I still enjoyed myself. Although at one point all the women around us were not-so-silently weeping over the intense emotions oozing off the screen. But luckily, us men have had years and years of thorough training on how to get through tough emotional moments. So we decided to crack open another beer and laugh it off.

For me, the real plan of that night was the 21:20 showing of "Moonrise Kingdom", a movie I had been looking forward to for weeks, ever since they decided to show the trailer before every freaking movie I went to see. Resulting in me seeing it about 10 times in the past month. So after stuffing ourselves full of unhealthy burgers for the 3rd time that day, I entered the Pathe City with a slight feeling of excitement. So far I had not heard that much of the movie, but everything had been positive. What I was not prepared for was that I would absolutely love this movie. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, you'll know it. The combination of oddness and humor reminded me in a way of Amelie, some may take this as an offense, as if I'm calling it unoriginal, but I find calling a movie reminiscent of Amelie a grand compliment. Anways, this movie has a certain oddness to it, that works up to a point where it makes everything more amusing and enjoyable and somehow does not come off as overly weird. That is an amazingly fine balance that they managed to hit spot on.
This is a movie I am certain will be re watched by me and many others. If I know myself even a little, I'll probably go see it in theaters again soon enough.

So, after closing off sunday with such success and enjoyment. I took a day off, no movies for me on monday.

But, tuesday, of course meant time to get back in action. Somewhere in the afternoon I approached my friend if we were planning on raping any cinemas that evening. And after going through what was showing, cross-matching the play times, and even contemplating going to see multiple movies, we decided it was time to go see "Prometheus". A movie I insisted we go see in the Grand Hall of Pathé Tuschinski, a beautiful hall in a most beautiful theater. Definitely my favorite cinema to go to.
It had been maybe 10 years since I saw Alien, it was at a slumber party during one of my visits to the states. We were a group of young boys watching a movie we probably shouldn't be watching. And it made quite the impression.
So I knew who Ridley Scott was when the name appeared to me on the giant movie screen. But I had no real expectations of what Prometheus would bring me. I figured just going to see it and letting it wash over me was a good approach. What I must confess is that I'm actually not that big of a fan of this genre. I think this comes from my very analytical approach to movies, this helps me appreciate a lot of movies a whole lot more. But when it comes to movies that are supposed to have you trembling in your seat, I can never quite get that same thrill that others are getting. Because I'm not looking at the movie in the same way, I can never quite get sucked in to the point of shared fear.
I don't think too much should be said about Prometheus, it looked amazing, although at some points I thought certain design choices made a couple of objects look outright funny, but as a whole, it was incredibly impressive.
My personal judgement of this movie is this: It made me want to go back and re watch Alien.

So, for those of you who have been paying attention, there is a shared theme between these three movies one I realized as I was riding my bike back home last night. Moons and pregnancies. For the Alien fans out there, that should be good news.

As always.

Live long and prosper,
Teun

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten