zaterdag 25 augustus 2012

Bonnie and Clyde

Good evening,

As I'm writing this my computer clock reads 2:15 am, and I just returned from a late night cinema visit. This night's lucky movie was God Bless America it was a pre-screening kinda thing, the movie won't be released for another week on a national level in the Netherlands.

This movie was one of the few films I have actually been looking forward to. In short, it's about a guy who gets knocked down by life and as he's about to put an end to said life, he gets distracted by an overwhelmingly obnoxious girl on one of MTV's more popular shows called Sweet Sixteen. At that moment he decides to postpone his suicide and instead, put an early end to the life of the girl who so clearly has not earned the right to keep living.
So, at this point, I was already in love with the movie. It reminded me of Super (2010) a film about a guy who decides to become a superhero, which basically means he goes around hurting and killing people he decides are not being nice.
God Bless America however goes a lot deeper into its hatred of particular groups of society. As you watch the movie you can feel the hatred oozing off the screen. I really felt the writer's conviction, and his deep and pure dislike towards certain behavior and cultural developments. And goddamn it, I could not agree more.
Basically, this movie is a dark comedy, and laugh I did. But it was more than that, at some parts the lines and conversation actually make strong arguments and are quite witty and well thought out.

If you are anything like me, and you have a deepfound hatred for the kind of people who are idolized on popular MTV shows, you will love this movie. And if you can't possibly wait until you get to see it in cinemas, may I suggest watching Super in the meantime.

As always,

Teun

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten