maandag 24 februari 2014

Pac Film Festival (10) - Her (2013), Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013), August: Osage County (2013), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013)

Yesterday, the 23rd of February, was a good day. Me and 4 other friends had tickets for a film festival, Pac Film Festival (the 10th edition), to be precise. These festivals are always one of my favorite days of the year. This is the fourth edition I have attended, consecutively. So I had some idea as to what to expect.
We even had a gameplan, meet at 10 am, get our tickets, then go to the nearest supermarket for breakfast and to sneak our beer into their fridge. By 10:30 we were in our seats, we had our own booth, complete with loveseats. Ready to go.

The first movie was Her (2013), a movie about a man falling in love with his Operating system. Which sounds incredibly weird at first, but also presents us with some interesting thought experiments. 
It felt like a constant back and forth, of him falling for this operating system, Samantha, and then being brutally confronted by the fact that she is a freaking computer.
As a viewer you begin contemplating what you would do, if it is real. And if it matters or not. This theme is strengthened by the occupation of our leading man. He writes personal letters in the name of other people. And though they are truly beautiful, they are still his. Not reflecting the thoughts of the people who he writes them for. But does that matter? Or can they still be beautiful in their own right?

We then moved on to Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013), after restocking our beer and snack supply. Our lunch break doubled as a beer run and us reflecting on what we just saw.

This move didn't necessarily feel slow, but it felt like they took their time. There were some essences to the movie that I really liked. For instance you were shown a lot of inner conflict in most of the characters passing through on the screen. But nothing was really addressed, it just kind of slowly dragged on and moved along. Which I really liked, it felt like we were experiencing it with them. 
But besides that, it wasn't that special.

Next on the list came August: Osage County (2013), with some impressive acting by Meryl Streep. In ways it felt like an over dramatic version of Festen (1998). But there was a number of moments which were truly beautiful. I guess we can all identify in some ways with family dramas. But this one seemed to have struck an essential core. Although I'm not sure if all the screaming and fighting was really necessary to convey that essence.

After we went out for dinner, a pit stop at the Burger King, and stocking up for one final time on booze. We were once again seated and ready for our next adventure. By now we had spent over 10 hours at that cinema. Which sounds like torture to some, but defines one of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday. 
I had been looking forward to this one, The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), the latest film by Wes Anderson. One of my favorite directors. As soon as the title of the movie filled the screen I was sold. And we went on a 99 minute thrill ride through dreamscapes and adventure. I was entertained and filled with joy from start to finish. Would at times have the barely controllable urge to give a standing ovation. I wasn't sure to whom, but it somehow felt necessary.

If, of all these films, you can only choose one. Then please let it be The Grand Budapest Hotel, I will surely watch it at least once more. The way Wes Anderson manages to set a mood for his films amazes me. The cinematography and the style of it all is so specifically his, and it is truly magical.

I guess I had ran out of fumes after that thrill ride, because I slept through the entirety of the final movie. The constant drinking may have had something to do with that as well. So I'm afraid I do not yet have an opinion on The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013).

All in all, a great day for film, and a great day for me.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten